muLinux F.A.Q: Frequently Asked Question with (some) Fractured Answer
A collection of questions and answers, partly invented, partly derived directly from the mailing list and from the correspondence relative to muLinux. It is not to be assumed that what is written here is in reality useful for any particular purpose, nor that it corresponds exactly to the actual structure of muLinux. If the information contained within seems to you inadequate or, more appropriately useless, please send an email to the Fractured(TM) Software Foundation: they will be glad to give you a complete refund of what you paid for this document, excluding support ;-)
- 3.1 Every time the kernel boots and I have replied correctly to all the setup questions, everything suddenly stops and the text "login:" appears. What am I doing wrong?
- 3.2 I typed "startx", but nothing happened. Why?
- 3.3 Why do you not put in muLinux an X SVGA server, instead of VGA?
- 3.4 How can I format my floppies to hold 1722k in order to make the muLinux base and X11 disks?
- 3.5 Can I clone muLinux to my hard drive if I have a FAT32 file system?
- 3.6 Why doesn't muLinux provide a real authentication and login process?
- 3.7 The procedure for installation from DOS is too contorted: go into DOS-mode, unzip the archives, reboot, etc. Wasn't a good setup.exe better?
- 3.8 Is there any problem trying to run C applications compiled / linked at a
- 3.9 I have compiled (gcc) a hello.c application under my Red Hat 2.0.36 kernel host environment, but I am not able to run it on a muLinux 10r2 !?!?!?
- 3.10 Whenever I install muLinux the usual confirmation message after setting up an add-on XXX is: "Ooh ! I feel good. This XXX is OK." I'm sure we're all familiar with it. ;) Except, when I setup /usr from the boot floppy, I get a slightly different confirmation message: "Ooh ! I feel (relatively) good. This /usr is OK."
- 3.11 When I load startx on my laptop Mitac P100, the display is not full screen, it's just a rectangle in the center of the screen. Why?
- 3.12 I need a tool for login in on another machine... but without PASSWORD. But we can do that with samba (i hope :) ) and sshd .... I'm just asking that!
- 3.13 Can you tell me about LibC files, EXE files, and RPMs? Can I install them in mu?
- 3.14 I've noticed that everytime you come up with a new addon you have to change to 1st disk as well inorder to add it to the setup script. Would it be a good idea to have each addon have it's own setup script?
- 3.15 Where can I get the mulinux sources?
- 3.16 What are the differences between the different Swap possibilities:
- 3.17 What do I need to make an Internet connection ? (it seems that setting PPP and PORT is not sufficient).
- 3.18 Can you explain to me, DIALD set up, NAMESERVER, and NETWORK?
- 3.19 How could I print the screen ?
- 3.20 Do I, REALLY, need a SERIAL mouse to obtain Xwindows (via X11 addon). My PS/2 mouse doesn't work.
- 3.21 Once MuLinux is installed in UMSDOS, is it possible to gain room on my HDD by deleting some muLinux files or the whole directory ?
- 3.22 My hda is cut in a hda1 (dos) and a hda2 (dos) when i mount hda2 on /store, i can only read the names of the files that are on hda2 under 8.3 ; how can i have then in full format ?
- 3.23 Is there a way to avoid reconfiguring (or not) /usr and /ext and /x11 each time i boot from windows98 to my umsdos mulinux ?
- 3.24 When i start my X session, i get a small image, i.e. that the X destop doesn't come on the full surface of the monitor, but only on a small part of the monitor. What can i do to get a full X ?
- 3.25 How do I prevent changes in /etc/samba/shares from disappearing during a reboot?
- 3.26 I have mulinux operating on an embedded 486 with COMPACT FLASH (flash disk) and I want to prevent writes to the Compact fLASH dISK HDD. Can anyone tell me how I can write this to RAM instead of HDD.
- 3.27 Well, why mulinux cannot fork with a i386? Is fork() a i486 instruction?
- 3.28 How do we speed X-Windows without adding more memory?
- 3.29 Using Samba to mount a directory, I can only read files. Where's the problem ?
- 3.30 I'm using the 10r5 release but when i try to connect to the internet using pppd pppd -d -detach /dev/cuaX it returns the the kernel lacks PPP support. What should I do?
- 3.31 No matter what changes I make to /etc/X11/XF86Config' the
- 3.32 A better CD playing via pc-speaker?
- 3.33 I tried to create a second user profile but something was wrong so I got a lot of error messages, I was not able to have the second configuration and I deleted the first profile, too.
- 3.34 Your previous answer is very tight. I don't think a newbie would understand what he
- 3.35 XWindows runs really slow on my 386 4mb ram machine....
- 3.36 I have mu10r5 working in the the "ext2" configuration in a
- 3.37 What's the scope of the 'chroot' command?
- 5.1 When I run mu, and I pass by the fdformat (I need to run this manually because the mulinux-fdformat asks for libc.so.5) I get this message, and I am not sure if this is a hardware-problem:
- 5.2 When I re-boot the PC with the installation disk inside, after a while I am told that muLinux can not be found and I am asked to specify in which partition the muLinux files are.
- 5.3 How do you copy the muLinux files on to the floppy disk? I get the error, "insufficient disk space".
- 5.4 Is there a way to start muLinux with a default profile selected at startup, so that it starts and begins to work immediately?
- 5.5 I don't know what that 16 ramdisk stuff means, but I do know that it doesn't consume any ram. I guess it means to have the ability to use 16 ramdisks.
- 5.6 When I try to boot, I get memory problems (well, duh) and then when I drop down to a shell, I get "cannot fork" when attempting to make swap space. I can't even ls or fdisk. All I can do is pwd. Any advice?
- 5.7 Question: which file in the USR section causes the command history and how is it initiated? When I don't setup USR, the command history doesn't work. I'd like some info on this.
- 5.8 Could someone tell me what arguments are available for miterm? Are there man pages? What arguments are used for dialing a shell account?
- 5.9 How can one reduce the required RAM, in case I want to use floppy #1 in a machine with 4MB?
- 5.10 The downloaded installation files are not on my notebook, but on my desktop. So I can't use boot.bat.
- 5.11 I got the mulinux-10r2.tgz and some modules. Now I really don't know how to get this archive on to a bootable floppy and install muLinux on to a fresh HDD. I can extract the archive to a floppy with arc under Linux, but that floppy won't boot? I don't use DOS or Windows.
- 5.12 Why, under DOS, can I see my addon in the directory C:\Linux\X11.tgz and why NOT when I am under Linux..
- 5.13 muLinux works pretty well, but I always have had problems with lilo during cloning process ext2fs. For systems with low mem, you can't extract SRV.tgz containing lilo... so you have to clone the basic mulinux first.
- 5.14 I didn't understand if it is possible install new applications with Mulinux installed on hard disk. If it is possible, what I have to do?
- 5.15 How to add a new application in muLinux?
- 5.16 After i've created a bootable floppy (makefd) and booted again, the system goes in halt after the message: /bin/scan cannot fork (twice).
- 5.17 I have download X11.tgz but I can't unpack it an put it on a disk. Using winzip, the archive only seems to contain itself (???!!) How to do ?
- 5.18 Is there an easy way of upgrading to the newest version of mulinux?
- 5.19 I would simply like to know where to put my cursor and which button to push to get to an "X11.tgz" file?
Comments, additions and suggestions can be sent to
Last update: 23 Oct 2002, Today is Sweetmorn, the 4th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3168
This FAQ was generated using
sgml-tools for Linux, v1.0.9