Re: Effetto "Ratsche"

From: Riccardo Campana <pabellnews_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:49:52 +0200

mimmo <carlomaria.cappello_at_fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> La mia domanda � cosa sia l'effetto "Ratsche" e quale sia la traduzione
> italiana del termine. La traduzione letterale die "Die Ratsche" �
> "l'arpionismo", ma non vedo il nesso.

Suppongo che possa essere il "ratchet effect" in inglese:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_effect

The ratchet effect the commonly observed phenomenon that some processes
cannot go backwards once certain things have happened, by analogy with
the mechanical ratchet that holds the spring tight as a clock is wound
up.
Garrett Hardin, a biologist and environmentalist who also wrote of the
'tragedy of the commons', used the phrase to describe how food aid keeps
alive people who would otherwise die in a famine. They live and multiply
in better times, making another bigger crisis inevitable, since the
supply of food has not been increased.
Austrian school economist Robert Higgs has also used the term to
describe the seemingly irreversible expansion of government in times of
crisis in his book Crisis and Leviathan.
The ratchet effect is also used as a term for the results of an economic
strategy arising in an environment where incentive depends on both
current and past production, such as in a competitive industry employing
piece rates. The producers observe that since incentive is readjusted
based on their production, any increase in production confers only a
temporary increase in incentive while requiring a permanent greater
expenditure of work, and thus decide not to reveal hidden production
capacity unless forced to do so.
The ratchet effect is referred to in many disciplines, from politics to
management to evolutionary theory. One of the manifestations of the
ratchet effect in mathematics is Parrondo's paradox.
In terms of politics, the "ratchet effect" was used to describe the
government's inability to scale back the huge bureaucratic organizations
that were once needed. Oftentimes, these machines were created in times
of war to fuel the needs of their troops abroad. The "ratchet effect"
can also be viewed through the lens of international organizations that
have trouble with reforms due to the myriad layers of bureaucracy that
were previously created.

Ciao

--
Riccardo Campana